Written by Christine N. Cibula, M.S. ~ Transformational Business & Life Coach
Sometimes I see something truly extraordinary in marketing and I feel the urge to share it. Why? Because it deserves attention. Not much stands out to us in the world anymore. I think we can all agree we are on sensory overload. So when something truly grabs my attention as a smart marketing move, there is brilliance behind it.
Such was the case going into this Halloween weekend. I noticed a few weeks ago that there were hints that Stranger Things Season 2 would be airing on Netflix in the coming weeks. But on Friday, October 27th, 2017, I received an email saying the new episodes had officially arrived just in time for the weekend.
And of course I thought what perfect timing, because this year Halloween falls on Tuesday October 31st, 2017. So the weekend prior would be the time to get into the mood of the festivities. Final pumpkin picking, pumpkin carving, pumpkin painting, finishing touches on the costume, and of course, something spooky to watch on TV.
Stranger Things | Season 2 Comic Con "Thriller" Trailer [HD] | Netflix
You really have to watch the trailer to grasp the beyond brilliance of this move. Kudos to Netflix!
So check this out, because they did a lot of things RIGHT:
- Aired at Comic-Con 2017 to promote it for the upcoming fall release.
- Not only is the video intriguing as is, but it captures that butterfly feeling of The Goonies. That was a sweet time in my generation, a cherished part of our childhood memories, so a lot of adults my age will find themselves naturally tuning in.
- A few weeks before the big reveal they started promoting it, like pay attention, something cool is coming your way. And yes, if you watched Season 1 you most likely wanted to tune in for Season 2 as soon as it aired.
- Friday I'm working. Noticed the email in my inbox over lunch as I was scrolling through my emails. So of course, had to click on the trailer in anticipation.
- Amazing trailer! Add to the mix Michael Jackson's Thriller piping in the background!!! How frickin' iconic is that? And so perfectly spooktacular leading into Halloween. Like I couldn't have imagined a better trailer! Period. Bravo! Bravo! Bravo! Especially the last 15 seconds...
- When I turned on Netflix Friday night, it was the first thing I saw, ready to roll. It was cool and crisp out. Something yummy was cooking and it was so inviting to shuck the work clothes, pour a cup of hot chamomile tea, put on my cozy Marvel pj's (I did mention I'm a Marvel and ComicCon fan right?), and settle in for a power jam weekend of entertainment.
- Season 2 Episode 1 is about the town preparing for Halloween!!! Again PERFECT TIMING!!!
- Season 2 Episode 2 is about going trick or treating on Halloween. Like anyone who watched this over the weekend will be thinking about it all weekend going into Halloween. Its so frickin' brilliant in all of the attention to detail.
I had to write about it. I just couldn't let this one slip by!
Hope you enjoyed reading this smart marketing article as much as I enjoyed writing it... 🙂 CC
P.S. If you still haven't carved your pumpkin yet, this is one for the road... Blast from the past.